Monday, July 26, 2010

Redeeming Love

I haven't posted in awhile but I just read something that changed me so much I had to post about it: the book "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers. I do a lot of reading, but never "Christian Fiction" because they're always so sappy and corny. Anyway, I finally read this book (it's supposed to be like the story of Hosea) and it totally opened my eyes to grace in everyday life. Grace is one of those words I feel like I can't ever use in conversation except when talking about God, but really if you want to share the Gospel through words and actions showing grace to someone is how you do it. Forgiveness and grace are two different words and meanings, for sure- so why do so many people talk about how we should show forgiveness and show love but never grace? My "new thing" is to show grace to people. Michael Hosea, the character in "Redeeming Love" is the man who showed grace to his wife (the one who represents Gomer). If Gomer were a prettier name I'd name of my future children Gomer so she'd always remember that she comes from a God who shows us grace the way Hosea gave his wife grace. Or maybe I'll change my own name to Gomer so I'll remember that.

Other books I've read lately (and you should too):
"Crazy Love" by Francis Chan, "Love & Respect" by Emerson, "The Reason for God" by Timothy Keller.

No comments: